Monday, January 25, 2010

Parent teacher conference.

We had Parker's parent/teacher conference today. They gave us a report card of sorts. A list of things that either had a check or a plus on it. The plus meant he did them well and the check meant more development needed. There were a few check pluses too.

In general there were no surprises. In fact, it appears that his teachers don't fully understand what Parker is actually capable of. We got that impression when they told us that "Parker is quite good at patterns." Really? No shit.

Although it was kinda lame, it was nice to hear that he wasn't this super weird kid that just shouted math formulas all day.

They did say he played by himself a bit still doing his drawings or whatever. We told them that was fine with us. I asked Parker about this later. I said, "Mrs. Kelly says you like to play by yourself a lot. Is this true?" Parker said, "No, I want to play with other kids, but they don't want to play with me." (His lip was quivering when he said this.) So I replied, "You can play with them if you want." Then he said, "But I don't like the games they play." Which is funny, because that is what I said to Mrs. Kelly.

I'm sure this is only the first of many conferences where we find out nothing.

No comments: