Sunday, January 25, 2009

Butter...hmmm.

Anyone who knows me knows I am no cook. I just don't have whatever it takes. But, I have been trying very hard to cook a regular meat/fish/chicken and veggie and starch dinner every night since Jan 1. In the past, I wouldn't start in time and fix something easy for the kids and then eat cereal or take out chinese or pizza or tacos. So the fact that I haven't gotten off track yet, is very promising.

Tonight I had salmon. I usually just put it on the grill. But I thought of trying something new tonight so I looked up broiled salmon on google and got a bunch (ok like 120 thousand) recipes. I picked what looked like a very, very easy one. But when I started making the basting sauce, I noticed that it called for 2 pounds of butter. Holy Shit! 2 pounds of butter. That would make anything taste good. I re-read the recipe and was about to start melting 2 sticks of butter when I realized it was for a 20 pound fish. Since our fillets were only 1.4 pounds, I reduced it. A bit. :)

It reminded me of the time I was making pancakes and put 2 cups of sugar in instead of 2 tablespoons. That there was some granular pancakes. Or like the pancakes I made this morning where I used baking soda instead of baking powder. Luckily I realized that error before we cooked them.

No comments: