Friday, January 23, 2009

Favorite songs

I sing to the girls every night at bedtime, and the rule is that they each get to pick one song, and I get to pick one. (I always pick Walking Cane, and they would probably freak out if I ever picked anything else. But I pick it because it makes for a nice, soothing, lullabye.)

For a long time, Miranda always chose Wheels on the Bus. Elizabeth would move between different songs, depending on her mood, but with Miranda it was Bus, always Bus. Naturally, I'd like to never sing that song again in my life, but one does what one must.

Recently, I introduced the Crawdad Song into the mix, and Elizabeth fell in love with it. So now every night she picks Crawdad song.

Which would be fine, except that for some reason now Miranda has fallen in love with the Crawdad song, and wants that to be her pick. And it's not good enough that she gets to hear it on Elizabeth's turn, she wants to hear it as her pick. So now, every night for the past couple of weeks, I sing Crawdad Song twice at bedtime, followed by Walking Cane.

No comments: