Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pre Pre School

A few weeks ago, I was talking to a mom of a classmates of Parker's and she mentioned the playschool her almost 3 year old was going to. Her son went there too and she is going to put her baby there too when he is old enough. It's a 3 hour a day twice a week place at a woman's home. There are 6 kids total, an outside play area, an inside play area and a circle time area. They also go on walks every day for about 20 minutes. And she provides snack and lunch.

So, on a whim, I called the lady to find out more and to see if she had space. Amazingly she did. So I talked about it with Michael, my friends, my twin club and after much discussion and guilt, started them this week. Michael and I have been both struggling to find down time. If I take it, he gets three kids. If he takes it, I get more of what I get all week a long. I have found myself being more annoyed lately and have been yelling a lot more. I'm not a yeller, so the fact that I am now, has been tough. So, I thought this small break would help me out and allow me to do more on weekends thus helpng Michael out. By the time I drop everyone off and start the pick up, I only get two hours, but that is 2 hours alone I would not have had.

On Monday, I had to stay a bit to do paperwork so I had about an hour and a half, which I spent shopping, cleaning the fridge, and stopping for what turned out to be a free peets coffee. Today, I ran around the lake, did some errands, had breakfast and read the newspaper.

The girls, by the way, did great both days. They were so excited about "pre-pre school" after we went for a visit a couple weeks ago. They were just a twitter about the whole thing. Especially Eli. There is already an Elizabeth there, so the teacher decided to call her Eli at school. Barbara, the teacher, (who by the way got their names immediately) said they acted like they had been there for months on their first day. Today, Miranda had a little crying fit during the walk, but got over it quickly.

I'm not sure how long I will keep them there for guilt and financial reasons, but for now it seems like a good situation. (They start preschool in September so no longer than July I imagine.) I still feel pretty guilty about it, but I think it has already helped me do a bit more at home. For example, Michael was going to do our shopping Sunday night, but I did it Monday, which I wouldn't have wanted to do with both of them with me. It's possible, just not pleasant or quick.

I think it will be a nice transition to a bigger more structured place with more kids. I was a bit worried about Miranda freaking out when I left, but she gave me a big hug and kiss and waved bye bye to me. Elizabeth didn't even have a pee or poop accident on either day. I guess I was worried about nothing.

2 comments:

Amity said...

You deserve some free time girl! Glad to hear things wen't smoothly. I'm jealous :)!

Val said...

Good for you! It is amazing what you can get done when you don't have to take care of kids. And it does leave more quality family time on the weekends and even a little individual time for you and Michael, which is so important!!