Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Colors

We recently realized that Elizabeth and Miranda do not know the colors yet. If you hold up something that is pink and ask what color it is, the most common answer is blue or brown. You hold up something that is blue, it's orange.

I tried to think about how Parker learned his (in addition to just reading and talking about what color something is which is what we do with the girls). I then remembered that he spent a fair amount of time when he was 2 watching Baby Einstein DVDs about shapes, colors, numbers, music and other things. Now, sure I realize these have recently been shown to do damage to little baby minds, but I thought I would give it a try with the girls. Since I had donated all of our DVDs to the library, I picked up the colors one (Baby Van Gogh) and popped it in after naps one day. Elizabeth was excited about her new TV SHOW, but soon got very confused when there wasn't any words or story or anything. She kept asking for it to start, even when it had been on for 10 minutes. Parker, on the other hand, remembered it and loved it, staring blankly into the screen without blinking (damage?) for long periods of time.

The DVD, which they have now watched about 3 or 4 times, have had no effect on their awareness of colors. I'm hoping they are just color blind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

my girls definetly know the color pink but blue is purple to them. Especially Courtney. She always wants the blue sippy cup and when I hand her the blue one she gets mad and points at the purple one!