Thursday, January 08, 2009

Dark Morning Surprises

I ran the lake this morning. I thought it would impossible after taking over a month off to be sick, help sick kids, eat a lot of food, hang out with Amy, and generally be a lazy slob. But as I was running in the dark all by myself, I just kept saying, Just Keep Running. Just Keep Running. And I did.

Close to the end, I heard this fluttering sound. I turned around and expected to see someone there. But as was the case with the entire run, no one was there. I then looked out over the lake and saw hundreds of birds floating around, all over. These were the birds that are usually hanging out in the bird sanctuary area and I've never seen them covering the lake before. It was so dark, I couldn't really seem them in detail, but I saw their outlines and heard their flapping wings. I'm guessing they were cleaning themselves or something else. Or perhaps they were just chatting about what the day had in store for them. In any case, it was a nice treat and gave me a good boost enabling me to sprint to the finish.

No comments: