Monday, February 23, 2009

Grandpa Tony stands up for Miranda

While running with my dad this weekend (which by the way I have never done and did for 4 miles on Saturday morning), he mentioned that although he enjoys the blog and reads it daily that he does not think I should criticize Miranda on it. He was quite passionate about telling me all the reasons why it wasn't a good idea to point our her deficiencies (ie she might read the blog one day, that it just isn't necessary even if it is true, etc). I kept telling him that I was just reporting the truth of our life and that it would be skewed if I didn't tell it all. He said that I don't have to print all the news that is fit. I wasn't really buying any of it until he said that some of the things that I (and others) might think of as "smart", "advanced", or perhaps "good" might not be and those behaviors or activities that I think of as "dumb" or "slow" might not be either. His examples included Miranda reading books differently than Parker or Elizabeth (who memorize the text) might infact be more impressive since she is making up stories based on the pictures without really knowing what is going on. Parker and Elizabeth never do this. Or Miranda coloring the eyes in the coloring book. It just seemed odd to me, but to my mother, the early childhood development pro who has been observing children ranging from 2-5 for years, it was extraordinary.

So...I'm not sure I'll follow my dad's request to the T, but I'll think about the posts a bit more before clicking "publish".

And Miranda, if you are reading this, my apologies.

No comments: